Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Orthosiphon aristatus, Cat's Whiskers

Orthosiphon aristatus 
 Cat's Whiskers
This small perennial shrub, which is native to both Queensland and South east Asia,has quite unique flowers in either white or pale mauve .It always brings lots of comments at this time of year as the flowers are at their best. Outside the tropics it is difficult to keep alive over winter so is best planted in a sheltered warm spot or treated as an annual.
2017 update: After many attempts I have finally given up trying to grow it.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting plant !
    I saw it in Japan.
    Where could I get seeds please ?
    Thanks for your help.
    All the best.
    JPierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JPIerre
    I'm sorry I don't have any seed. It is not a warm enough climate for me to grow it well. Merci, Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This plant needs troppo climate to flourish, but luckily in our garden both the mauve and the white form grow well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Florian. I think it is regarded as a true sub-tropical. I wish I could work out a way of keeping it alive over winter. It must need 10C minimum, Ian

      Delete