Saturday, October 10, 2009

Red Pontiac potatoes


Red Pontiac potatoes
Yesterday I dug the first of my potato crop. The Red Pontiac variety is an 'early maincrop' type and was originally known as the 'Dakota Chief' in the United States. The first thing you notice about home grown potatoes, compared to store bought ones, is how crisp and moist they are when you cut them.This is because their sugar has not converted to starch. Pontiacs are a waxy variety and a good all purpose "spud" as they retain their shape when boiled. From this first batch I made a potato and pea curry. Potatoes really soak up spice flavours well and this dish makes a great accompaniment or side dish to a main meal. I add the peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking and find the frozen baby peas the sweetest and best to use. While it is cooking, I make a cucumber Raita adding lots of fresh mint. This compliments the curry nicely as well.
It looks like being a cooking inspired weekend as I am off to see the movie Julie and Julia
Below is the other Pontiac. I would like one of these.!

1969 GTO Pontiac in 'Carousel Red'

1 comment:

  1. Ian... nothing like home-grown potatoes.

    When I was in the 3rd grade, my teacher drove a GTO, much like the one pictured here. The irony was she looked like my grandmother. But then again to a 3rd grader, anyone over 35 looks like their grandmother!

    Happy gardening & cooking…

    ReplyDelete