Friday, February 12, 2010

Cestrum nocturnum, Night Scented Jessamine

Cestrum nocturnum
 Night scented Jessamine

This 3 metre tall shrub is native to the West Indies and has fairly insignificant pale green flowers with a delicious perfume released at night turning it into something special.  It is sweetly vanilla creamy scent and the fragrance lingers in the air on balmy summer evenings. I like to put my nose in close and take deep breaths and get a lung full of this one. When the flowering season is over, bunches of attractive white berries are produced in great quantities but when they fall they all germinate so it has a fairly high potential to be a bit weedy. I cut it back by a third after flowering so it remains as a compact shrub. It is quick growing and makes a good screening plant . All Cestrums are drought hardy, but only tolerate light frost. In cold winter areas they may become semi-deciduous.It is a good shrub to grow in the narrow spaces between buildings which receive full sun in summer and none during winter.
2017 update: I still grow this and have plants available from time to time.

4 comments:

  1. I have one or two here. I love it. It's easy for me to start it cuttings. Good thing because it doesn't usually winter over in my Zone 6B garden. Thanks for showcasing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I would love to have in my garden ... and drought hardy which is perfect for my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, as an American, I don't get to see many cricket matches. But I do love the sport.

    This plant looks like it would be a great addition to any garden. I love its deep green and various textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your interesting comments.cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete