Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Nemophila 'Baby Blue-Eyes'

 Nemophila menziesii 'Baby Blue Eyes'

 Nemophila menziesii 'Baby Blue-Eyes' (Hydrophyllaceae)
This is the first time I have grown this spring annual, a former Californian wildflower which has made the transition to popular garden flower world wide. I was interested to know more about it when I read about the Nemophila Harmony Festival held during May in Hitachinaka, Ibaraki, Japan. The whole hillside of the Hitachi Seaside Park turns pale blue during the Festval. Why this flower? I have no idea but it looks amazing.
It is certainly easy to grow. I planted the seeds in early winter and only lost a few seedlings early on to snails who mowed down the tender young ferny leaves overnight. It is a soft and fairly delicate looking plant but reasonably tough, forgiving if you forget to water it, by springing back to life after wilting. Though regarded as a shade loving plant I am growing a batch in pots in full sun and these can be moved if the expected 30C days come next week. An ideal garden spot for it would be growing in humus enriched soil under deciduous trees.
As mine are just coming into flower now I shall update this post after they have finished so as to give an indication as to how long it performs.

Nemophila Harmony Festival
Hitachi Seaside park
Ibaraki, Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment